Status Updates

This site contains 10 status updates.

I’ve been working with javascript a lot lately. Basically just learning how get things done by building a personal project. I’ve decided that it might be a good idea to make another site where I share what I have learned … both with the world as wellas with future me. If you’re interested in this kind of thing, check it out: javascript.mfields.org

Just switched out my theme again! Working on a new theme called Nighthawk. I was originally going to make Ghostbird 2 but, when all was said and done, I decided to make a different theme all together. Wish me luck!

Repeating the same thing over and over again … blasting the music so my neighbors don’t think I’m crazy … time for sleep … Ghostbird 2 is in the works

Too much… all at once … crazy … crazy … crazy!!! I’ve I survive this latest influx of “Mike, we need it now!” I’m definitely going on vacation. Gonna take the train up to Seattle for the WordPress Users Group and see what goes down. If I survive, that is!

My theme’s coming along well. It’s got colors!!! Lot’s of colors!!! Originally, I wanted to release a plain theme that would appeal to the masses, then I thought that there were too many of those already so I decided to add a bit of flair. I’m really stoked about the results so far. I also spent a bit of time adding in the code for the first widget area. It appears in the comment form above the textarea element and is intended to be used for “discussion guidelines”. Check out an example of what I am talking about in the comments section for this post. Let me know your thoughts. Got a conference call in about an hour then off to the Portland WordPress User Group.

Well it looks like the responsive design functionality of my new theme will have to wait for the next version. It’s really hard to get it to work in every possible scenario. The gallery shortcode is the major culprit here. I’ll most likely need to rewrite it’s handler to accommodate. Which is best done in a plugin IMHO. I keep thinking that I’m almost done and then I find new things that need to be addressed. Hell, I even talked myself into adding an options page! Right now, I’m thinking that documentation is more important than anything. So I’m going to tighten that up, run a while slew of tests and then release it! Hoping some of you can check it out and give your opinion!

Was able to polish up the media queries for scaling the WordPress gallery as well as embedded media in my theme. Seems to be working really well in the latest Firefox, Chrome and Opera. Not really going to look at it in IE to the very end… probably just give it a fixed width in 6 and 7 and see what happens in 8. No more coding today. Off to celebrate the release of Drupal 7!

My only New Years resolution is to release a public theme and I’m almost done! Feeling really good about this. It’s changed quite a bit over the past few weeks and when I compare it to older versions, I can only say that it has changed for the better. Should have a development release out by Monday still a lot to do, but am totally in the home stretch. Really need to fine tune the media queries. Enough about that, time to go watch some bellydance!

Again! Hopefully going to be able to release the next version of my Taxonomy Images plugin today. It’s a complete rewrite and I haven’t been able to find the time to work on it as of late. Need to bake-in better front-end support and I’ll be done. At least enough for a release candidate!

It’s around 4:15 in the morning and I’ve finally rushed together a new design for my site. I’ve actually been working on it on-and-off for a little while now, But I wanted to get it ready for the PDXWP meeting later today where I hope to do a short talk about post formats.

Fork me on GitHub